Why do people get heart palpitations when they get upset?

Heart rhythm change. There are many different conditions that can cause the awareness of a different sensation - what we call palpitations. The vast majority of times in healthy people it is a benign condition - extra strong heartbeats due to the fight or flight response can be felt as a change and sometimes benign premature ventricular contractions due to adrenaline. If frequent or if other symptoms, see your doctor.
Neuroendocrine. Healthy patients' cardiovascular system is modulated by neurologic and endocrine factors. Young people are most responsive; they are healthy. The sickest patients (eg, diabetics) often show signs of having lost the neurologic input; their heart rate does not vary with emotional or physical stress.