Discolored teeth after braces common?

Dr. Stanley Siu
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: No, if brushing well

White or brown spots, cavities develop if not brushing & flossing well while someone is in braces.
That's why good daily oral hygiene is very important while a patient is in braces. Who wants straight teeth that are now discolored and/or has lots of cavities? There's not enough here for me to talk about baking soda that the medical doctor suggested so look for another post with my thoughts on that.

In brief: No, if brushing well

Dr. Stanley Siu
Dr. Stanley Siu
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: No

Braces do not cause discoloration.
Not cleaning the exposed portion of the tooth not covers with braces can allow bacteria to damage the teeth. Ask your orthodontist for oral hygiene suggestions, and see your family dentist regularly for cleanings and Fluoride treatments..

In brief: No

Braces do not cause discoloration.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman

In brief: Yes. Baking soda

Is a gentle dentifrice that works very well, and you probably already have a box in your fridge! if that doesn't work, consider a professional cleaning and/or whitening.

In brief: Yes. Baking soda

Dr. Scott Welker
Dr. Scott Welker
Dr. Stanley Siu
Baking soda is abrasive in nature & chronic use of it can cause damage to teeth enamel. The enamel will wear off, making the teeth sensitive & vulnerable to cavities. Chronic use of baking soda can cause permanent damage to the teeth. Moreover, baking soda doesn't kill bacteria, so you'd should still use toothpaste afterwards. If you're telling patients to use baking soda, they should be instructed to not use baking soda more than twice a week, if at all. Using a ADA approved toothpaste that has baking soda incorporated into its formulation would be a far better option.