Will I be addicted to dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) if I take it 5 times a week for 3 year?

Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Depends on dose/use

If you are taking Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) to treat adhd, are getting good benefit from it at appropriate dosages, and do not need to keep raising the dose because your losing a "kick" or some other benefit from it, then you are highly unlikely to be addicted however long you take the medication.
The fact that you are taking it 5x/week and not having problems on days you don't suggests you're doing okay.

In brief: Depends on dose/use

Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care

In brief: Recreational usage

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) addiction is extremely serious today, but there is a slight upside to this type of addiction as well.
While many other drugs that are highly addictive can have very serious consequences for the health and even the life of the addicted, the consequences of this drug tend to be more mental than physical.

In brief: Recreational usage

Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Paul Pancner
In my clinical experience, if people are prescribed amphetamines for conditions such as adhd and within fda guidelines, they do not run into difficulties with physical withdrawal or dependence. If taking more tgan prescribed, it's of course a different matter.
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery