Can you take ritalin, (methylphenidate) dexedrine, or Adderall for add/adhd?

Yes, all are OK. There are similarities in these 3 meds, though dex & Adderall (dextroamphetamine and racemic amphetamine) are more closely related. It depends on each individual which is a better med. And, it depends on the dose, the form the med is taken in, the dosing frequency -- and it may depend on what other meds are utilized. This is not amateur hour, so get good professional help.
Yes, all are good. Stimulants available in the us come in two classes--methylphenidate (ritalin, concerta, focalin, (dexmethylphenidate) etc.) and amphetamine (dexedrine, adderall, vyvanse). The two work slightly differently but are comparably effective and have similar side effects. Studies show about 65% respond well to first stimulant they take; another 20% will respond to the other class if the first doesn't work.
Yes. Those are all medications that are and have been used to treat adhd. There are newer medications that tend to last longer and have fewer side effects, but the older medicines are still being used.
Of course. A stimulant, whether amphetamine or methylphenidate class, is the drug of choice for adhd, adult, adolescent, or child. These meds increase Dopamine and norepinephrine in nerve connections called synapses. This is where information exchange and learning occurs in brain. These are among the safest and most effective meds we have. Safer than tylenol (acetaminophen) or penicillin.
As a person ages, symptoms of Hyperactivity/Impulsivity tend to diminish leaving an inner sense of restlessness, fidgetiness, inability to remain seated during meetings, etc. while clinically significant symptoms of Inattention persist, changing the diagnosis from ADHD-Combined Type to ADHD-Primarily Inattentive Type, called ADD till the mid-1980's. Multimodal management including medications is still necessary.