Child mental health problems. How common are the real psychiatric problems, not autism or add?

Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Wow, where to begin?

I'm not sure what's "not real" about autism or adhd; but, in prepubertal children, there's also anxiety, sometimes depression, & learning disabilities.
After puberty, depression and anxiety increase markedly, as do eating disorders, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder. Not counting adhd (8-10% of the population), in any one year, serious other illness affect about 10-12% of the child population.

In brief: Wow, where to begin?

Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Whoa! Not real?

I agree with dr. Elliott, adhd is the most common neurodevelopmental disorder of childhood.
Autism is 1/88;1/54 boys. 25% of children & teens in a "typical"primarily middle-class general pediatric practice have psychosocial problems. Technology improves survival of many infants whose genetic &/or biological problems co-exist with neurodevelopmental disorders & "real" mental illness.

In brief: Whoa! Not real?

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Aaron Ament

In brief: QUESTION PROBLEM

Add and autism are real and the basic causes can be found ultimately in difficulties in brain anatomy and impulse transmission.
Other problems might be described the same way at heart. And if you or yous are in trouble, there is no point in wondering if it's common: it needs help and change.

In brief: QUESTION PROBLEM

Dr. Aaron Ament
Dr. Aaron Ament
Dr. Martin Morell
We are at infancy of understanding brain health, but getting there!
Dr. Shontae Buffington