How severe are heart palpitations for a woman going through menopause?

Mostly just nuisance. It is extremely common for peri-menopausal women to develop heart palpitations. The overwhelming majority of these cases represent heart rhythms that are in no way dangerous, but can be uncomfortable and even sometimes intolerable due to the sensation of racing or fluttering pulse. The "severity" generally relates not to health risks, but to how much it interferes with your life.
Menopause effects. Hormonal imbalances at menopause may cause retention of fluid i the body, and that together with Progesterone effects (such as hot flashes) may speed up heart rate giving a subjective sensation of palpitations. However, it is important to know if an arrhythmia (abnormal or irregular heart beat) is present, or just normal rhythm being a bit fast. A few simple tests will put your mind at ease....