How long do heart palpitations usually last?

Completely variable! Depends on the cause and mechanism of the irregular heart beat. May last seconds to days or more. Plus depends on one's sensitivity, i.e., some patients feel every irregular beat, some don't feel any even if sustained. Some causes are intrinsic (diseases) or extrinsic (caffeine, stimulant medications, hormonal, psychological/stress). The latter causes often last shorter if avoided.
Depends. They can last from seconds to hours, depending on the reason: extra systole can last few seconds, svts can last minutes to hours. If you have frequent symptoms, a holter monitor may identify the cause of the palpitations.