I have a puncture wound from cat claw to ear. It nearly went thru but it came out towards cartilage. Felt/heard it hit. Does this need special care?

Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry
In brief: Yes.
Have it evaluated as soon as possible to prevent possible complications.

In brief: Yes.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. PHILLIP KIM
Cat claw carry bacteria which can cause cat scratch fever with localized lymph enlargement and fever. Have your doc take a look.

Dr. PHILLIP KIM
Dr. PHILLIP KIM
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Wound care
Clean it with soap and water. Apply antibiotic ointment and cover it with a bandage.
Check your tetanus status. Go see a doctor to make sure there are no signs of infection.

Dr. Robert Dorsey
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Dr. Eleanor Barone
Surgery - Plastics
The blood supply to cartilage is not as good as the blood supply to bone.
This means it gets infected more easily. I put my patients with cartilage trauma on Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for better tissue penetration and i take off any infected or dead areas to let the wound heal more normally. Once healing and infection are resolved i will correct any scarring that needs to be fixed.

Dr. Eleanor Barone
Dr. Eleanor Barone
Dr. Bret Boyle
Board Certified, Wound care