How do I know if I am at risk for prion disease? Pet scan?

Dr. Mark Fisher
Neurology

In brief: Why r u concerned?

No one eats human brains anymore, so human "prion disease" = cjd.
There are 3 types: sporadic, familial & variant. Sporadic is impossible to predict. Familial runs in families; it's genetic and can be tested for but genotype does not predict phenotype. Variant is contracted by eating contaminated beef. Check out www.Cjdsurveillance.Com. My advice: find something else to worry about.

In brief: Why r u concerned?

Dr. Mark Fisher
Dr. Mark Fisher
Dr. Guido Davidzon
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: Not clinically use

I don't know of randomized trials demonstrating the usefulness of fdg-pet scans in prion disease.
However, there are a few case reports showing hypo-metabolism in the affected regions of the brain.

In brief: Not clinically use

Dr. Guido Davidzon
Dr. Guido Davidzon