My nine yr old has vitilligo. Blood work was normal. Should I give her extra vitamins? What and how much?

In brief: Yes, but . . .

In the U.S., children often do not eat a wide variety of foods during any week.
They may be lacking vitamin d and calcium, due to drinking other drinks instead of nonfat milk. So, it is fine to take a multivitamin a day, plus Fluoride if that is not in their drinking water. If not getting 4 servings of dairy a day, extra vit. D and calcium is helpful. But, none of this has any effect on vitiligo!

In brief: Yes, but . . .

Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Vitiligo&vitamins

Even though vitamins and minerals have been recommended and have been used extensively.
The fact is in my humble opinion they do not do anything to his condition.Vitamins bi, b6, b12, folic acid, copper in studies from india and other mineral, but i reality replacement of any and all these does not cure vitiligo.

In brief: Vitiligo&vitamins

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Vitiligo

Vitiligo is suspected of being an autoimmune disease, sometimes it is seen in association with a vitamin b-12 deficiency called pernicious anemia, but this is rare.
Fungal infections onthe skin can cause loss of pigment, (tinea versicolor) see a dermatologist to exclude this possibility. Topical immunosuppressants like Elidel (pimecrolimus) ro Protopic may be affective for vitiligo.

In brief: Vitiligo

Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Dr. Michael P Vaughn