Does genital herpes and folliculitis look a like?

Yes and no. At the beginning they may look alike. Genital herpes will often cluster and form a group of fluid filled vesicles. Folliculitis will form small pus bumps around each hair follicle.
Rationalizing Rashes. Folliculitis is a pustular inflammatory reaction in a hair follicle with bacterial invasion secondary to microtrauma or glandular hyperactivity, such as that seen with shaving or acne. Genital herpes is viral and blister-like involving more than just the follicle, but can become secondarily infected with bacteria and could appear like a folliculitis. A physician exam will help distinguish them.
They can be similar. Genital herpes can present as vesicles, pustules, or erythemetous (red) ulcers that are painful. Folliculitis is an infection of staph. Aureus that can present as domed, yellow pustules with a narrow red margin.
Genital herpes. Signs of genital herpes tend to develop within three to seven days of skin-to-skin contact with an infected person. Genital herpes infections look like small blisters or ulcers (round areas of broken skin) on the genitals. Each blister or ulcer is typically only 1 to 3 millimeters (1/32 inch to 1/8th inch) in size, and the blisters or ulcers tend to be grouped into "crops.".
Sometimes. Herpes is the "great imitator" and may be confused for folliculitis or other skin changes. Any genital lesion should be presented to a physician for evaluation.
No. Folliculitis tends to focused around base of hair follicles - in many cases after shaving closely. Genital herpes can start with small blisters - not centered around hair follicles - can progress to shallow, painful ulcerations. Each requires different treatment.