Can smoking marijuana cause an unsafe, rapid heartbeat?

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine
In brief: It can
I have seen many patients who get palpitations after smoking marijuana, who do not have problems after they stop.
This is not common, and most smokers do not get it. I have worked up several patients with this complaint to see if they had a predisposition to things like atrial fib or flutter, or supraventricular tachycardia (svt), but did not find it. If you are having this problem, stop using it!

In brief: It can
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. William Scott
Pediatrics - Cardiology
Marijuana smoking has been linked in multiple reports to the development of atrial fibrillation, a rapid heart rate in the upper chamber of the heart that is unsafe.

Dr. William Scott
Dr. William Scott
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology