How long is Aricept (donepezil) effective for the alzheimers?

Dr. Benjamin Lessig
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: It varies
It could be early as three weeks from the beginning of the medication to make the medication effectively.
Remember, it simply slows down the progression, not cure. I would stop the medication when the person is becoming more chair bounded or bed bounded or no longer accepting to feed. Remember Aricept (donepezil) deal with three main components - behavioral, functional and cognitive.

In brief: It varies
Dr. Benjamin Lessig
Dr. Benjamin Lessig
Dr. Maureen Nash
Psychiatry - Geriatric
In brief: Differs by symptom
Aricept (donepezil) increases a chemical in the brain known as acetylcholine.
This slows functional decline early in dementia and helps behaviors late. I recommend continuing it as long as possible if there are no adverse effects.

In brief: Differs by symptom
Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Jeff Seaman
In brief: Mild-sev
FDA approved it for mild-mod-severe, but few doctors continue it toward the end.
Once the patient is so severe that memory and attention are no longer helped by it, there is no reason to continue it. Of course it only extends functionality, it does not modify the disease itself.

In brief: Mild-sev
Dr. Jeff Seaman
Dr. Jeff Seaman
Dr. Eric Weisman