What are the risks of riding roller coasters for a person with pacemaker?

Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Pacer

It depends on the patients overall condition.
A pacemaker itself is just a device. If the patients condition such as heart failure makes the roller coaster a bad risk, that is what the limit is. Ask the treating doctor, but would not hop on the ride without that.

In brief: Pacer

Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Dr. Tony Ho
Agreed, the device itself should not have any risk posed with regards to a roller coaster. On the other hand, things like microwave ovens and strong magnets are of concern.
Dr. Louis Grenzer
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: That depends

The pacemaker itself is not a problem. However, riding a roller coaster can be stressful to some.
(such as me!). If you also have coronary artery disease, the stress could provoke chest pain so that the roller coaster ride can be just as dangerous as any other stressful activity.

In brief: That depends

Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Marsha Davis