How to taper alprazolam?

Dr. Neil Liebowitz
In brief: Xanax (alprazolam) taper
This is a short acting benzo which can be difficult to come off.
I usually switch people to the equivalent Klonopin dose (about have the mg dose of xanax (alprazolam) per day) and reduce the daily dose by 0.25mg every week. Ie it would take 1 month to come off 1mg of Klonopin which is equivalent to about 2mg of xanax (alprazolam).

In brief: Xanax (alprazolam) taper
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Pamela Pappas
In brief: Tapering Xanax (alprazolam)
Very, very carefully, and over a long period of time.
Xanax (alprazolam) is a very potent medicine, meaning lots of power in a small quantity of milligrams. If tapered too quickly, confusion, other mental status changes, and even seizures can result. Sometimes the safest place to do this is on an inpatient unit.

In brief: Tapering Xanax (alprazolam)
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas