Any benefit of blueberries and horse chestnut for varicose veins?

Dr. Joel Gotvald
Surgery - Vascular
Horse chestnut has been shown in medical research to benefit symptoms related to varicose veins.
It often relieves symptoms of achiness and fatiuge in the leg and can also help improve swelling of the lower legs and ankles. I am not aware of any medical research showing benefit with blueberries. Just so you know, the horse chestnut will not resolve the veins & they will get worse with time.

Dr. Joel Gotvald
Dr. Joel Gotvald
Dr. Dan Fisher
In brief: Maybe and yes.
Escin (horse chestnut extract) is useful in those with resistant edema and contraindication to or inability to tolerate compression.
It works by constricting vessels and therefore reducing leakage of fluids into the local tissue. There are several other lesser known compounds available worldwide including hydroxyethyrutoside and sulodexide. I am unfamiliar with the agent in blueberry.

In brief: Maybe and yes.
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology
In brief: No
The anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of some fruits and seeds can make a difference in any symptoms that you might experience from having varicose veins (especially swelling).
However, none of these can make any difference in the appearance of varicose veins. If you want varicose veins to disappear, you should have them treated by a vein specialist.

In brief: No
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology