I was told by several people even a doc to try caster oil to help move along pg. I'm 40 weeks. I drank some today. Is my baby gonna be ok?

Dr. Arthur Hoffman

In brief: I would think so

I am far from ob; however, both the concern about ''moving pregnancy along'' & using castor oil concern me enough to get a fresh second opinion.
This is just too important. Both of you deserve this evaluation.

In brief: I would think so

Dr. Arthur Hoffman
Dr. Arthur Hoffman

The fda categorizes castor oil as "generally recognized as safe and effective" (grase) for over-the-counter use as a laxative, with its major site of action the small intestine.
Although it may be used for constipation, it is not a preferred treatment, because it can produce painful cramps, fecal incontinence and explosive diarrhea. It can go on for hrs without control.

Dr. Michael H. T. Sia
Dr. Michael H. T. Sia
Dr. Miguel Cano

In brief: Baby will be fine

Castor oil is used as a laxative and has minimal value as an labor inducer.
If constipated, it will help empty your lower GI tract & that may help a little. It may cause GI cramps that feel like uterine cramps but it's not really labor. Relax, your baby isn't affected, and being over 40 wks is normal if your baby is moving fine. If you do need induction, there are better ways, ask your ob.

In brief: Baby will be fine

Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Miguel Cano

In brief: Yes.

Although it may be used for constipation, it is not a preferred treatment, because it can produce painful cramps, fecal incontinence and explosive diarrhea. It can go on for hrs without control-even during sleep!

In brief: Yes.

Dr. Michael H. T. Sia
Dr. Michael H. T. Sia
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham