I have a broken toe. Doctor taped it to next toe. Wthout a cast the toe can bend. How can it heal?

Dr. David Laha
Podiatry
In brief: Time
For a fracture to heal well, you have to keep the two ends of the bone from moving against each other. As long as this is accomplished, you can have movement of the joints around it.
In most cases of toe fractures, splinting the toes works well. We then place patients in a stiff shoe or surgical shoe depending on symptoms, alignment and location of the fracture. Sometimes a cast boot is used. Dr l.

In brief: Time
Dr. David Laha
Dr. David Laha
Dr. Robert Stuart
In brief: It works
I know, it seems odd, but as long as the fracture doesn't involve the joint it should heal just fine.

In brief: It works
Dr. Robert Stuart
Dr. Robert Stuart
In brief: See below
The toe should be splinted in such a way to avoid excessive motion.
As long as the bones are in alignment and good position they should heal.

In brief: See below
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine