What is the meaning of st elevation?

Dr. Alon Gitig
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Refers to EKG change
Refers to changes seen on the EKG of a person suffering a "transmural" heart attack.
I.E., in cases where a coronary artery becomes suddently completely occluded by a clot, cutting off blood flow to the entire thickness of the heart muscle in the wall supplied by the artery, a portion of the EKG called the "st segment" rises substantially. This is the basis of immediate diagnosis of a heart attack.

In brief: Refers to EKG change
Dr. Alon Gitig
Dr. Alon Gitig
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: ST elevation
Besides the st elevation described by the other doctor, there is a common pattern called juvenile t wave pattern which also has st elevation and is not pathologic.
St segments can also be elevated when pericarditis(inflammation of covering over the heart)is present. Neither juvenile pattern nor pericarditis is the same as a heart attack.

In brief: ST elevation
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Dr. Calvin Weisberger