I was coughing up dark yellow phlegm this morning I been having chest congestion few days im 22 and don't smoke what could it be most likely?

Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Acute bronchitis

A 3 day history of cough which is productive of discolored sputum, along with chest congestion, is likely to be an acute bronchitis.
It may have started with an acute upper respiratory process with post-nasal drip, later extending to the lower airway.

In brief: Acute bronchitis

Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
Dr. Dan Fisher

In brief: Viral infection

By far the most common cause of chest congestion and phlegm of any color (other than blood) is viral upper respiratory tract infection.
No treatment other than conservative measures is necessary. Serious signs such as chest pain, shortness of breath, blood in the sputum, wheezing and other abnormal breath sounds need further investigation by your doctor.

In brief: Viral infection

Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology