How do I know if I have a serious eating disorder?

Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: The fact you asked

Usually, if someone is wondering if they have an eating disorder, something fairly serious is going on.
You don't say whether you are over- or underweight, but i'm guessing the latter and that people are worried about how thin you are. If you're convinced your "fat" when others are telling you otherwise, restrict food intake, exercise excessively, binge, or purge, seek professional help.

In brief: The fact you asked

Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Julie O'Toole

In brief: All ED's are serious

If you mean anorexia nervosa, it has a lifetime mortality (death) rate of 10%--that's serious.
If you mean bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder- though their mortality rate may not be as high, their potential for ruining a life and causing psychosocial misery and medical problems is very high.

In brief: All ED's are serious

Dr. Julie O'Toole
Dr. Julie O'Toole
Dr. Jane Van Dis