I got my ECG results and my Q wave was abnormal. Does this mean that I had a heart attack?

Dr. Liviu Klein
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: It depends

It depends on the location and size of the q waves in relation to the other parts of the qrs complex.
Ask your doctor to look at the ECG and let you know.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Liviu Klein
Dr. Liviu Klein
Dr. Mark Stern
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Not necessarily

A q wave on an EKG can have many causes including lead placement or even the position of the heart in the chest and only if there are multiple ones in a pattern might they mean a heart attack.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Mark Stern
Dr. Mark Stern
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Echo helps

Sometimes an echocardiogram (ultrasound test) will help clarify whether q wave on an ekg indicates an old heart attack or simply a normal variant due to the position if the heart in the chest cavity.

In brief: Echo helps

Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine