What happens during a vaginal hysterectomy and how long does it take?

No visible scar. A circular incision is made around the cervix through the vaginal wall. The abdominal cavity is entered between the rectum and cervix through the vagina. The bladder is separated from the cervix. The arteries feeding the uterus are tied off and cut. The uterus is delivered through the vagina. The ligaments supporting the uterus and cervix are reattached to the vagina. The vagina is closed.
Hyst +/- 45 minutes. A vaginal hysterectomy involves removing the uterus completely through the vagina. An uncomplicated vaginal hysterectomy may take only 30 to 45 minutes, but can take well over an hour in some difficult cases.