Is mitral stenosis typically the result of rheumatic heart disease?

Can be. Rheumatic heart disease is pretty rare these days, due to aggressively treating strep throat with antibiotics. However, it is still the most common cause of mitral stenosis. In general, the causes of mitral stenosis include rheumatic fever, infective endocarditis and just the wear and tear of natural aging.
Yes. While many patients are unaware they have had rheumatic fever, it is the most common cause for mitral stenosis world wide.