Is it safe to give my baby soy-based formula?

Yes. Soy-based formula is safe and fine to use, but babies usually start on cow milk formula. The nutritional value of formulas in america are standardized, so they have similar amounts of calories, protein, carbohydrates, and fat. There are, however, different sources for the ingredients. Some formulas use cow milk protein, while others use soy protein. The sugar in the formula may be different too.
Depends. There are some babies that develop a food intolerance or allergy to soy protein. This shows up as persistent diarrhea, vomiting, frothy pinkish stools, possible hives. A percentage of infants allergic to cow milk protein are also allergic to soy. If the baby is tolerating a soy and growing well I see no problem with using it.
Yes. The aap recommends cow's milk formula as a preferable alternative to breast milk. However, in some babies (those with certain underlying medical problems), soy is either medically necessary or better tolerated. There have been some concerns that "phytoestrogens" (plant-based estrogen-like compunds found in some plants) may contribute to early puberty in children- the jury is still out on that one.