What is stem cell transplantation used for now?

Certain cancers. Blood stem cell or bone marrow transplantation is used to treat certain hematologic malignancies (blood cancers) such as leukemia. They can also be used for bone marrow failure, certain hemoblglobin disorders such as sickle cell anemia, and some genetic disorders.
Leukemias, etc. It is a medical procedure in hematology and oncology, most often done for patients with certain cancers of the blood or bone marrow, like multiple myeloma or leukemia. In these cases, the recipient's immune system is usually destroyed with radiation or chemotherapy before the transplantation. Graft-versus-host disease is a major complication. This is reserved for life threatening conditions.