What can I do if I have trouble reading the newspaper without taking off glasses?

Age related. I am guessing that you are somewhat nearsighted and over age 40. So your glasses correct your distance vision but you now cannot, because of your age, read at near through the glasses. So you take them off and you can read smaller print. The solution is to go to your ophthalmologist and get a pair of bifocal glasses which will do the trick.