How can the mitral valve be replaced?

Many options. Depending on pts age as well as the characteristics of the valve, there are many options. Mitral valve repair -using the pts own valve and perhapse a ring. Mv replacement-the whole valve is replaced by either a mechnical valve pig valve or a bioprosthetic. Another new technology involves catheter based options such as a clip. All types have pros and cons including possible Coumadin (warfarin) therapy.
Surgically. Depending on the problem with the valve, valvulplasty may be considered for a narrowed valve, but most requires open heart surgery for repair or replacement.