Can a gluten-free diet treat autism?

In brief: See below
There are people that believe diet and supplements can help autism, but there is not any reliable evidence.
You can certainly try a gluten free diet. However, it can be a difficult diet to follow.

In brief: See below
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology
In brief: No
Some children with autism have wheat sensitivity,but there is not yet sufficient evidence that eliminating glutinous will alter autism in general.
However there is little downside risk for eliminating gluten from a diet.

In brief: No
Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral
In brief: Unless a child has
Gluten enteropathy (celiac disease) documented by specific laboratory tests, there's no medical reason to use a gluten-free diet.
7% of children with & without autism have celiac disease. Likewise, removing milk/milk products is necessary only for a milk protein allergy. There's no scientific evidence of efficacy of any medication or dietary manipulation in treatment of core symptoms of autism.

In brief: Unless a child has
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Catherine EKWA-EKOKO
Pediatrics - Neonatology
In brief: Possibly
I have seen several children respond to a gluten-free diet within 2-4 months.
This diet might take some getting used to, however there is an increasing amount of gluten-free items available. In addition a healthy diet of meat, fruits and vegetables, with limited sugar and artificial colors could benefit your child.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Catherine EKWA-EKOKO
Dr. Catherine EKWA-EKOKO
Dr. Johanna Fricke
See www.aap.org & Autism Society of America recommendations for diagnosis & treatment of gastrointestinal disorders before using GF/CF diet
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: No Convincing Eviden
Altho, it is safe to try the diet, there is no convincing evedence that it works.
I have also not yet seen a patient with positive improvement. And the diet is extremely difficult and may take up to 4 months if it works at all.

In brief: No Convincing Eviden
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Jonathan Jassey