How is undescended testis diagnosed on ultrasound?

See below. Undescended testis is usually diagnosed by physical examination. Ultrasound is used if no testicle can be palpated on either or both sides. Inguinal and abdominal/pelvic us can demonstrate testes in the inguinal canal and most intra-abdominal undescended testes. This helps in management and choice of surgical approach. I perform laparoscopy to find possible intra-abdominal udts if not found by us.
Testicular imaging. Approximately 80% of undescended testes are located within the inguinal canal and are easily visualized with sonography. 20% may be intraabdominal, making evaluation with ultrasound more difficult. Ct imaging may be required in some cases.