I often have really heavy periods with blood clots. My period ended 7 days ago, but I bled through a pad, tampon and my pants in 5 minutes today ?

Dr. Alan Patterson
In brief: You need evauation
That is not normal, you need to see your gyn , so your gyn can do an exam , the proper blood work and a pelvic ultrasound.
Depending on what heh cause is, you may be a candidate for bcpills or Progesterone or a newer medicine called Lysteda that will slow your bleeding, or you may need an office hysteroscopy and biopsy of the lining of the uterus.. Endometrial ablation is another possible option.

In brief: You need evauation
Dr. Alan Patterson
Dr. Alan Patterson
Dr. Jeff Livingston
In brief: Lots of options
There are multiple medical options.
Hormonal treatments such as birth control pills, Progesterone treatments and the Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud are effective reversible treatments that will help many people. There is also a drug called Lysteda that contains no hormones which will help others. If you are done having children discuss the option of an endometrial ablation. I prefer genesys hta for ablations.

In brief: Lots of options
There are multiple medical options.
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Scott Kramer
Gynecology
In brief: You have options
Abnormal periods need evaluation; sonogram, lab tests.
Non-surgical options include: birth control pills. Lysteda (non-hormonal rx taken during period), Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud. Minimally invasive options: endometrial ablation (in-office), hysteroscopy polyp removal or fibroid resection; and only if these treatments fail then consider hysterectomy - vaginal or laparoscopic if possible.

In brief: You have options
Dr. Scott Kramer
Dr. Scott Kramer
Dr. Adam Levy