How long does it take to fix a bursitis of the shoulder? I have rested it for 4/5months & it isnt any better, I have do the ice & hot they don't help.

Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Shoulder pain

Bursitis doesn't typically last for 4-5 months, unless it is coming from a structural problem. I recommend consulting with a shoulder specialist, get a correct diagnosis, and get started on the road to recovery! if conservative management fails, an MRI or shoulder ultrasound may give additnal information needed to adequately treat your pain.
Good luck!

In brief: Shoulder pain

Good luck!
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Martin Raff
Rarely, bursitis is due to infection with otherwise "benign" organisms and tapping the bursa for diagnostic purposes may be helpful, but only after combining rest with use of NSAIDS and passive physical therapy. Orthopedists who specialize in this complex joint are a great source of help.
Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Shoulder bursitis

If it is not better after 4-5 months, then i would re-consider the diagnosis of bursitis, which should respond to rest in a few weeks.
In particular, i would consider a condition like calcium deposits in the joint (calcific tendinitis). This will require a cortisone shot to dissolve the calcium, and won't get better without it. See an md--orthopedist preferred.

In brief: Shoulder bursitis

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Peter Kurzweil