I haven't walked in a while but when I walked two miles, I felt very winded. How can I start back walking wthout feeling like im having a heart attack?

Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Walking

I think your body is just trying to tell you to go a little slower. That is, reduce your initial efforts to just half a mile for several weeks, after a few weeks, increase to a mile, after another month or two try a mile and a half, and so on.
Unless your health conditions are not adquately uncontrolled, you should be able to build up this way. Your body likes to have time to adapt.

In brief: Walking

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Ankush Bansal

In brief: See below

First, see your doctor to make sure you're in good shape to begin exercising (no impending heart attack or weakness of the heart).
Second, start slow and be consistent. Start with 1 mile for example and walk on level ground. Then increase the distance or difficulty (e.g. Steepness of hill) every couple days until you get to your goal. Exercise at least 5 days/week. Eventually, you'll get there.

In brief: See below

Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology