I think I have an infected hangnail on the left side of my ring finger. It is very red, swollen and quite sore to the touch. Can I treat this at home?

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: Sounds like

An oral antibiotic might be in order..
..the hanging nail needs to be addressed as well.

In brief: Sounds like

An oral antibiotic might be in order..
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Yes, at first

This may be a paronychium (inflammation around the area where the nail meets the finger's tissues).
You can try frequent (every several hours) prolonged warm soaks which can bring this to a head and allow drainage. If, however, the redness extends beyond this area, the finger becomes swollen or in any way worse, you should be seen immediately, preferably by a hand surgeon.

In brief: Yes, at first

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff