I developed a severe case of diastasis recti with my second pregnancy. Two more big babies and 30 yearslater, I now have a painful hernia. What should I do?

In brief: DIASTASIS RECTUS

No surgery needed for this.
Plastic surgeons do the surgery ( cash) insurance will not cover. High recurrence rate. It is not a hernia, as it was explained to you.

In brief: DIASTASIS RECTUS

No surgery needed for this.
Dr. Juan Peschiera
Dr. Juan Peschiera

In brief: Stretch an tear

In diastasis recti the fascia between the abs is stretched out like a rubber sheet.
After a certain point there is no more give and a tear develops. The tear is the hernia. Pulling the abs back together to remove the diastasis is somewhat painful and requires open surgery. The hernia can be fixed at the same time. A plastic surgeon will generally do this procedure.

In brief: Stretch an tear

Dr. Prashant Sinha
Dr. Prashant Sinha
Dr. Alan Patterson

In brief: It should be fixed

You should see a general surgeon for evaluation and to have it repaired.

In brief: It should be fixed

Dr. Alan Patterson
Dr. Alan Patterson
Dr. David Earle
Surgery

In brief: Two things

1. Hernia is a hole in the abdominal wall through which abdominal contents can protrude.
2. Diastasis recti is when the connection between the rectus muscles (six pack) thins and spreads out. This looks like a long bulge in the middle between the umbilicus and breast bone only when you are doing a sit up, or participating in a limbo contest.

In brief: Two things

Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle
Dr. Tracy Berg
A CT scan of your abdomen and pelvis will help with diagnosis.
Dr. Jane Van Dis