I broke my collar bone 6 years ago, and I never had surgery. It significantly shortened the length between my sternum and shoulder (1 inch). ?

Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Clavicle malunion

When the clavicle heals in a shortened position, it affects the position of the scapula (termed pseudo-winging), thus affecting shoulder function.
If the deformity is "significant", corrective osteotomy (re-break bone) may be needed with a bone graft inserted between the cut ends. The goal is to restore the clavicle to the correct length. Consult with a shoulder specialist who has experience.

In brief: Clavicle malunion

Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Greg Hicken
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: Malunion

The shortened healing of the clavicle can lead to problems with shoulder mechanics.
After seeing a specialist, they may recommend surgery to cut the bone and plate it back in its normal position. If shoulder mechanics are fine and there is no pain, then nothing should be done.

In brief: Malunion

Dr. Greg Hicken
Dr. Greg Hicken
Dr. Robert Coats II
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: It commonly does

The collar bone or clavicle acts as a strut for the arm. This helps to position the arm in space.
It's not a problem being short, unless you have difficulty moving or lifting. Rarely does the clavicle need to be rebroken and fixed.

In brief: It commonly does

Dr. Robert Coats II
Dr. Robert Coats II
Dr. Arnon Rubin