Can I treat abpa with aromatic oil inhalation?

Dr. Andrew Murphy
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: No data
Abpa is a very serious inflammatory disease of the lung caused by a mold.
The treatment traditionally involves inhaled steroids, oral steroids. Recent data suggests that use of anti fungal agents could be beneficial. There may be a role for xolair as well. Aromatic oil inhalation is not a standard treatment for abpa.

In brief: No data
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Robert Ramirez
Just to reemphasize, systemic steroids are the mainstay of treatment, and has even been shown in one report to prevent further deterioration in lung structure (ie developing bronchiectasis if you don't have it yet).
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
In brief: Beware inhaling oil
I would be very wary about inhaling any type of oil into the lung.
When we prescribe Mupirocin for use in the nose, we specifically insist patients use the cream and not the oil, because of the off chance that the oil might be inhaled. Oil in the lung can cause a chemical pneumonia: http://en.Wikipedia.Org/wiki/lipid_pneumonia to treat abpa you need steroids and anti-fungal medications.

In brief: Beware inhaling oil
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology