Is bridging to transplantation with a left ventricular assist device a risky procedure?

Depends. Like most of medicine and life, you have to balance relative risk vs absolute risk. The absolute risk of an lvad is high (stroke, infection, death) but if the heart is really failing and a donor cannot be found, the relative risk of not doing an lvad may be higher than putting one in. It all depends on the overall clinical circumstances.
The disease itself. Needs "a bridge" is risky enough. Procedures that help the disease have risk but certainly justify risk. It us not the risk itself that's an issue. Rather, it's the risk/benefit ratio. "the only thing to fear is fear itself". My hope and prayer for you is guidance to reach the best decision.