Is bridging to transplantation with a left ventricular assist device a risky procedure?

Dr. Samuel Hahn
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Depends
Like most of medicine and life, you have to balance relative risk vs absolute risk.
The absolute risk of an lvad is high (stroke, infection, death) but if the heart is really failing and a donor cannot be found, the relative risk of not doing an lvad may be higher than putting one in. It all depends on the overall clinical circumstances.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Samuel Hahn
Dr. Samuel Hahn
This is a very wise and cogent answer. Good luck.
Dr. ALADIN MARIANO
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: The disease itself
Needs "a bridge" is risky enough.
Procedures that help the disease have risk but certainly justify risk. It us not the risk itself that's an issue. Rather, it's the risk/benefit ratio. "the only thing to fear is fear itself". My hope and prayer for you is guidance to reach the best decision.

In brief: The disease itself
Needs "a bridge" is risky enough.
Dr. ALADIN MARIANO
Dr. ALADIN MARIANO
Dr. Adam Smith