Hello dr, I had a MRI of my brain. It came back as slight chronic microvascular ischemic changes. What does that mean? Also what does a air cell mean?

Dr. Larry Armstrong
Neurosurgery

In brief: Aging changes

As we get older, arteries harden and we see small vessel changes in the brain due to aging.
They simply mean the brain doesn't work as well as it did when we are young and mostly attest to our slowly diminishing function. These are microvascular ischemic changes. You probably don't notice these changes. Air cells are bony areas of the skull with air spaces in them- normal.

In brief: Aging changes

Dr. Larry Armstrong
Dr. Larry Armstrong
Dr. Eric Weisman