I have been taking methadone for probably 4 yrs now about 140 mg daily. I used methadone to get off hydrocodone. What options do ihave to stop methado?

Dr. Alvin Lin
In brief: Work w/addiction doc
Find an addiction specalist close to you & work w/him/her to get you off Methadone w/o getting you hooked on something else.
Actually, who ever is prescribing your Methadone can work w/you by writing smaller & smaller doses each time. You're the deciding factor behind quitting. You can beat this. Good luck! and if you don't have insurance, go search online for free care (or check out my site).

In brief: Work w/addiction doc
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Samuel Miles
In brief: Taper
Talk with your doctor about tapering the dose down, and eventually withdrawing from it.
Expect to be tapering over several weeks.

In brief: Taper
Dr. Samuel Miles
Dr. Samuel Miles
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Pain Management
In brief: Stopping methadone
You would have to be titrated down slowly perhaps every month the dose is reduced.
When you get to a low enough dose i would then do monthly injections of vivitrol for about 8 months. You have already been on the Methadone for too long.

In brief: Stopping methadone
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Vivitrol blocks the effect of any remaining methadone, so would normally be given when the methadone is stopped entirely.