I twisted my ankle. On the 1st day, I didn't work. After that, I did. I hiked n retwisted. Now its been swollen for over a week and black n blue. Could it be broke?

Dr. Oliver Wang
Podiatry
In brief: Possibly however
The increased bruising may mean more damage whether it is soft tissue or bone.
Generally if you can walk and apply full weight on the ankle than it probably is not broken however avulsion fractures of the distal fibula can occur which can complicate things. Best to see a specialist for x-rays when in doubt.

In brief: Possibly however
Dr. Oliver Wang
Dr. Oliver Wang
Dr. Robert Lim
Podiatry
In brief: Break or sprain
Yes it is possible to break a bone, ligament or cartilage.
If you cannot put weight on it then you should at least get an x-ray to check the bones. If the x-ray is negative for a bone fracture then you probably damaged ligaments and/or possibly cartilage. An MRI would show these areas. See an ankle specialist to get the best evaluation and treatment options.

In brief: Break or sprain
Dr. Robert Lim
Dr. Robert Lim
Dr. Brandon Macy
Podiatry
In brief: Need an x-ray
You can't determine a fracture without an x-ray.
Black and blue can be from a sprain of the ligaments or a fracture. Even if it is "just" a sprain, having it examined and treated professionally can get you back to normal sooner and more comfortably.

In brief: Need an x-ray
Dr. Brandon Macy
Dr. Brandon Macy
You should probably have an x-ray taken, especially since this is a 2nd injury to the same area.

Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine