My stomach hurts when drinking beer months after my hemicolectomy. Is this normal?

Dr. Miguel Rodriguez
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Bellyache

Not really. Perhaps, it is a case of adhesions pain.
Adhesions is scr tissue on the inside. Since beer is full of gas, as you drink beer, the intestines stretch and younepeience that sensation, reported as pain by your body. It's just stretching of the bowel.

In brief: Bellyache

Dr. Miguel Rodriguez
Dr. Miguel Rodriguez

In brief: ABDOMINAL PAIN

Unlikely the beer drinking causing belly pain is related to the previous right colectomy.
No relationship. You may have gastritis from a different etiology. Alcohol is an irritant and I do not know how much beer you drink. You may need a workup with an endoscopy if your symptoms do not respond to the use of antiacid medication or proton pump inhibitors. A ct scan of the abdomen considered.

In brief: ABDOMINAL PAIN

Dr. Juan Peschiera
Dr. Juan Peschiera