Hi, I had a miscarriage about 3 days ago and I took a pregnancy test today and it still says positive? What does that mean?

Dr. Keegan Duchicela
In brief: I'm really sorry...
To hear about your miscarriage.
At home urine pregnancy tests measure the hormone HCG which goes up during pregnancy. These are still be elevated after a miscarriage but will eventually fall to zero over a course of days to weeks. So it's normal for the home pregnancy test to be still positive for that time.

In brief: I'm really sorry...
To hear about your miscarriage.
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Relax.
First off, how do you know you had a miscarriage? Did you see a physician? Did (s)he perform a pelvic sonogram? Secondly, why are you still checking urine pregnancy tests? Is it possible you have not actually miscarried? Even if you have lost the pregnancy, the hormones linger for a few days until your body clears them completely, so the upt may still be positive.
Your gynecologist should answer..

In brief: Relax.
Your gynecologist should answer..
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Jane Van Dis