I looked at the sunset with binoculars for 1 or less seconds by accident. Can I go blind? What can happen? What should I look for as symptoms? :(

Dr. Ilan Cohen
Ophthalmology

In brief: No

Staring at the sun or other sources of bright light can cause solar retinopathy.
This is a condition where the photo-receptors in the center of the retina become damaged, limiting the visual acuity. It cannot lead to total blindness. If you have no symptoms of decreased vision at this time, i would not be concerned.

In brief: No

Dr. Ilan Cohen
Dr. Ilan Cohen
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis

In brief: See below

Looking at the sun directly or through binoculars or a telescope without proper filters can cause damage to the retinas.
See an ophthalmologist who can thoroughly examine your retinas for any damage your may have sustained. If multiple areas are involved, you may notice blind spots in your vision.

In brief: See below

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Paul Bruer
Ophthalmology

In brief: Sun gazing

It is never a good idea to stare at the sun.
Your brief exposure most likely resulted in no damage to your retinas.

In brief: Sun gazing

Dr. Paul Bruer
Dr. Paul Bruer