What is moderate pain and swelling in the joint of my big toe where it joins my foot. I'm 43 and very physically active.?

Dr. Keegan Duchicela

In brief: Overuse...

First thing that comes to mind when you say big toe joint and pain is gout.
However, usually the pain is pretty severe, and it's red/inflamed. Very active people can have minor sprains and strains in the great toe that causes inflammation and pain, especially if there is some underlying arthritis that gets flares up. I would start with ibuprofen/rest and if not better in few days see doc.

In brief: Overuse...

Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Brynn Ewen
Podiatry

In brief: Possibly arthritis

It sounds like you have irritated the 1st metatarsophalangeal joint (aka big toe joint).
You may have a traditional bunion (bump on the side of the foot) or hallux limitus (bump on the top) and both of these can have signs and symptoms of arthritis including pain. A podiatrist can look at your foot and x-rays to educate you about your feet and treatments. In the meantime, ice and ibuprofen.

In brief: Possibly arthritis

Dr. Brynn Ewen
Dr. Brynn Ewen
Dr. Eric Weisman