A friend told me I could put a little vanilla extract on a wet washcloth and let my baby chew on it for teething relief. Is this okay?

A clean, cold, damp washcloth can be very soothing for a baby who is teething, and a little vanilla will improve the taste.
Be sure the cloth is in good condition and not ragged, however; you don't want it to come apart in baby's mouth & maybe get inhaled. Keeping a few damp cloths in the freezer gets them as cold as possible, and gives you the opportunity to rotate them.

Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: NO

There is no evidence that it will be effective.
I do seem to remember that extracts are made up with significant amounts of alcohol, and that would be inappropriate.

In brief: NO

Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer

In brief: See below

It will not cause any harm.

In brief: See below

It will not cause any harm.
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Jonathan Jassey