How to determine if I have high blood pressure?

See a doctor. Have your blood pressure checked during an office visit with your physician. Importantly, you should be sitting quietly for 5 minutes prior to having your blood pressure checked. Also, if your blood pressure is high, it should be rechecked at a later date. One blood pressure reading that is high (140/90 or greater) is generally not enough to diagnose a person with high blood pressure.
Screening. Hypertension is asymptomatic until one experiences the untoward effects of hypertension. See your doctor for regular checkups.