Could salt cause hypertension?

Heightened risk of. ...cardiovascular disease, but slashing salt isn't easy. Salt can be found commercially in many foods, even some you wouldn't expect--like bread, bagels, chicken (salt improves shelf-life), cereal. Seriously, read labels.
Water retention. Specifically, salt causes your body to retain water. This "extra" water occupies space and makes it more difficult for the blood to move through the body. When this occurs, higher pressure from the heart is needed to move the blood through the body.
Salt and HTN. most likely cause of HTN today. Best way to prevent or treat salt HTN is to move to the DASH eating plan. Get this book only ISBN: 0-7434-1007-6 eISBN-13: 978-1-43914-059-8 Start Chap 9 and expect BP to be better in a week if you Do Chap 9 EXACTLY. If if does not go down get back with me.
Salt and BP. Salt alone will not give you hypertension if you wouldn't have developed it anyway. However, people with high BP will notice higher numbers after ingesting salt.