Are there different stages of high blood pressure?

Yes. Normal less than 120 systolic and less than 80 diastolic. Prehypertension 120 – 139 systolic or 80 – 89 diastolic. High blood pressure (hypertension) stage 1 140 – 159 systolic or 90 – 99 diastolic. High blood pressure (hypertension) stage 2 160 or higher systolic or 100 or higher diastolic. Hypertensive crisis (emergency care needed) higher than 180 systolic or higher than 110 diastolic.
140/90. Pre-hypertension is any blood pressure less than or equal to 140/80. Stage I represents a systolic blood pressure (top number) greater than 140 or diastolic (bottom number) greater than 90. Stage I represents a systolic blood pressure (top number) greater than 160 or diastolic (bottom number) greater than 100.