Is minimally invasive heart surgery the same as open heart surgery?

Mostly.... The biggest difference is usually the incision size, with minimally invasive being smaller and often avoiding opening the breastbone. The actual surgical procedure, such as valve repair or bypass is often identical to the traditional approach.
No. Minimally invasive heart surgery are performed through small institutions on the sides of your chest. They will go through your rib cage inorder to not crack your chest. This results in quicker recovery time and less pain. Your surgeon could also see areas of the heart better rather than open heart.